Umdloti’s surf break can be a little fickle but can also be really good.
Here are the local tips:
- The less wind the better, unless it is a winter land breeze that which blows offshore.
- The waves are better during the incoming tides.
- The main three breaks are
- South Beach car park – good with a SW swell; we tend to surf more here in winter.
- The main car car in Umdloti – better with a NE swell; preferable in summer.
- The north side on the main car park – good beach break in the summer months.
Some good links to check on the surf are:
Windguru for swell size, direction and wind conditions – click here for the Umdloti forecast
For the tides, I prefer using this tide chart for Umdloti – click here for the Durban tides.
This was Umdloti on a big day.